Acting, Directing, Writing, Filmmaking, and Content Creation Classes for adults ages 18 and up are listed below. If you are 18 and under, check out our Youth Classes.
Filmmaking / Content Creation
Solo Show, Playwriting & Screenwriting
Improv & Movement
Voice, Speech, Dialects & Voice Over
Audition & Business of Acting
The Barrow Group Performing Arts Training Program, located in New York City, offers professional and emerging artists training in acting, directing, playwriting, and screenwriting. You can view our upcoming class schedule here.
At the heart of the Barrow Group Approach is the desire to promote clear and concise tools of the trade. These tools are outlined and published in “An Actor’s Companion – 99 Bits of Craft” by Seth Barrish, TBG’s founder and co-Artistic Director.
What makes The Barrow Group different from many other studios in New York City is that all of our acting teachers have gone through an intensive teacher training program. This faculty training assures that students receive a codified, consistent learning experience from teachers who have been training with The Barrow Group for years.
In a nutshell, these are TBG’s beliefs about acting:
- Acting is easy.
- Acting is most exciting when it is spontaneous and moment-to-moment.
- Unplanned behavior is usually much more interesting than planned behavior.
- Relaxation is the key to many of the things we strive for.
- The best technique is invisible.
- The best technique leaves us free (free to imagine, free to respond, free to feel, free to whatever).
- We don’t think there is one “way” to approach acting. It’s about finding whatever works.
The Barrow Group offers techniques designed to do the following:
- Encourage spontaneity
- Foster entertaining, human, and compelling behavior
- Help you become more sensitive, imaginative, responsive, and alive onstage
- Relax you
- Change your work effortlessly and invisibly (so the audience won’t detect any effort on your part and therefore will feel like they are watching a real person rather than an actor “working”)
- Bring more freedom to your work