The Barrow Group is an award-winning Off-Broadway theatre company and acting, directing and playwriting school located in New York City. Our mission is to help people tell stories better, and to produce plays that inspire, enlighten, and foster community.
What’s Happening around TBG
The Barrow Group Philosophy
- Acting is easy.
- The best technique is invisible.
- Unplanned behavior is usually much more interesting than planned behavior.
- There is no one “way” to approach acting. It’s all about finding whatever works.
The Barrow Group School
The Barrow Group School offers courses in acting, directing and playwriting. These NYC performing arts classes include:
- Scene Study For Professionals
- Monologue Class
- Solo-Show Performance Class
- Script Analysis Class
- Alexander Technique For Actors
- Theatrical Clown Workshop
- Voice for the Actor
- Shakespeare Acting Class
- Directing Classes
- Playwriting Classes
- Film/TV Acting Classes
- Improv Classes
- Beginners Acting Classes
- Brooklyn Kids Acting Classes
- Kids Acting, Monologue, Film/TV/ Playwriting Classes
TBG also offers a 1-year acting program, a 1.5 Year Acting Conservatory, and a 6-Week Summer Acting Program. The Barrow Group School is considered one of the best performing arts training schools and studios in New York; read industry and student testimonials here.
The Barrow Group Theatre Company & Arts Center
Founded in 1985, The Barrow Group Theatre Company produces NY Off-Broadway and developmental productions; the TBG Theatre Company is a not-for-profit organization, and has won numerous awards including a Drama Desk and OBIE Read what the NYC press has to say about the Barrow Group Theatre Company productions and acting approach.
TBG Arts Center is comprised of 5 studios, a 40-seat theater, and a 99-seat theater (available for rental) in midtown Manhattan NY.
Celebrated TBG Alumni and Company Members
- Anne Hathaway: Oscar Winner; Les Miserables, Rachel Getting Married
- Vera Farmiga: Oscar Nominee; Up in the Air, The Departed
- Denis O’Hare: Award-Winning Actor; True Blood, Duplicity, Milk, Michael Clayton
- Michael Stahl-David: My Generation, Cloverfield
- Tony Hale: Emmy Winner; Veep; Arrested Development, Stranger than Fiction
- Seth Barrish: Award-winning Director & Actor; Sleepwalk With Me, My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend, The Tricky Part, All the Rage, Damages
- Lee Brock: Award-Winning Actress; Tadpole, Remember Me, Law and Order
- Jennifer Landon: Three-time Emmy Award Winner; As the World Turns
- Allen Coulter: Hollywoodland, The Sopranos
- Martin Moran: OBIE winner for The Tricky Part, Lucille Lortel winner for All the Rage, Spamalot, Cabaret
- Monique Gabriela Curnen: The Unusuals, The Dark Knight, Lie To Me
- Ron Piretti: Broadway Fight Choreographer
- Marcia Debonis: Letters to Juliet, The Truman Show
- Zach Booth: Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist, Damages
- Stephen Singer: Sopranos, Rescue Me, Don Juan DeMarco, Iceman Cometh
- Meredith Hagner: As the World Turns, Going the Distance, Lights Out
- Tom Riis Farrell: Sleepless in Seattle, Scent of a Women, Almost Famous
- Larry Lau: All My Children, As the World Turns
- Wayne Duvall: O Brother Where Art Thou, Apollo 13
- Larry Clarke: In and Out, The Informant
- Poorna Jagannathan: Amnesty International Award Winner; Delhi Belly, Royal Pains, Peace Love & Misunderstanding