The Barrow Group offers kids, tween and teen acting, directing, playwriting, and filmmaking classes. We believe that children learn the most in an atmosphere of trust, collaboration, play, and support. These classes teach our specific approach to storytelling and introduce students to the same tools that our adult professional artists practice. All of our teachers have gone through an intensive teacher training program with TBG master teachers to ensure the highest quality experience for students.
We recommend students begin with the Explorations in Acting class for their age level.
Click here to learn more about our training program policies.
“When our son Julian shot his first commercial last year, I was surprised and excited by the honesty and thoughtfulness of his work, and I knew he needed training that would encourage those qualities. The Barrow Group is the ONLY program I felt would enhance his instincts towards naturalism. It is, hands down, the best training in NYC.” –Alice Jankell
Kids Ages 6-9
Summer 2023 Camps - June, July, August
Tweens Ages 10-13
- Explorations in Acting I
- Explorations in Acting II
- Performance Ensemble
- Theatre Production & Performance
summer 2023 camps - June, July, August
Teens Ages 14-18
Summer 2023 Intensives - June, July, August
The Barrow Group Performing Arts Training Program, located in New York City, offers professional and emerging artists training in acting, directing, playwriting, and screenwriting. You can view our upcoming class schedule here.
At the heart of the Barrow Group Approach is the desire to promote clear and concise tools of the trade. These tools are outlined and published in “An Actor’s Companion – 99 Bits of Craft” by Seth Barrish, TBG’s founder and co-Artistic Director.
What makes The Barrow Group different from many other studios in New York City is that all of our acting teachers have gone through an intensive teacher training program. This faculty training assures that students receive a codified, consistent learning experience from teachers who have been training with The Barrow Group for years.
In a nutshell, these are TBG’s beliefs about acting:
- Acting is easy.
- Acting is most exciting when it is spontaneous and moment-to-moment.
- Unplanned behavior is usually much more interesting than planned behavior.
- Relaxation is the key to many of the things we strive for.
- The best technique is invisible.
- The best technique leaves us free (free to imagine, free to respond, free to feel, free to whatever).
- We don’t think there is one “way” to approach acting. It’s about finding whatever works.
YOUTH SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMS
- The Barrow Group Diversity Scholarship
- Citrin Low Income Scholarship
The Barrow Group School offers techniques designed to do the following:
- Encourage spontaneity
- Foster entertaining, human, and compelling behavior
- Help you become more sensitive, imaginative, responsive, and alive onstage
- Relax you
- Change your work effortlessly and invisibly (so the audience won’t detect any effort on your part and therefore will feel like they are watching a real person rather than an actor “working”)
- Bring more freedom to your work