6-week workshops designed to teach film/tv acting, including cold readings and continuity
The heart of the Barrow Group Acting School, in these 10-week scene study intensives students learn and practice the Barrow Group Acting Approach. To be clear, these are not beginning acting classes, they are for professionals– and all students begin with Scene Study 1 as that is the start of the progression of training.
“The Barrow Group was really the institution that taught me how to act.”Anne Hathaway, Academy Award Winner
The Barrow Group School offers techniques designed to do the following:
- Encourage spontaneity.
- Foster entertaining, human, and compelling behavior.
- Help you become more sensitive, imaginative, responsive, and alive onstage
- Relax you.
- Change your work effortlessly and invisibly (so the audience won’t detect any effort on your part and therefore will feel like they are watching a real person rather than an actor “working”).
- Bring more freedom to your work.
In a nutshell, these are TBG’s beliefs about acting:
- Acting is easy.
- Acting is most exciting when it is spontaneous and moment-to-moment.
- Unplanned behavior is usually much more interesting than planned behavior.
- Relaxation is the key to many of the things we strive for.
- The best technique is invisible.
- The best technique leaves us free (free to imagine, free to respond, free to feel, free to whatever).
- We don’t think there is one “way” to approach acting. It’s about finding whatever works.