1-Year Acting Programs
- 1 Year Professional Acting Program
- 1 Year Foundations of Acting Program
- 1 Year Actor Craft Expansion Program
1-Year Directing Program
1-Year Filmmaking Program
2-Week Fall & Winter Intensives
- 2-Week Professional Acting Intensive
- 2-Week Beginner Acting Intensive
- 2-Week Voice and Speech Intensive
- 2-Week Personal Narrative Workshop
Summer Acting Programs
Beginner Acting Classes
Film/TV Acting for Professionals
Scene Study for Professionals
- Scene Study Intensives: I, II, III, IV
- Master Classes w/ Seth Barrish & Lee Brock
- Actors Scene Study: Working w/ Directors
Solo Show Workshop
- Personal Narrative for the Actor with Martin Moran
- Self-Communication for the Actor
Voice & Speech
NYC Weekend Acting Workshops
San Francisco Weekend Acting Workshops
Los Angeles Weekend Acting Workshops
Weekend Playwriting Workshops
Led by TBG co-Artistic Directors (Seth Barrish and Lee Brock) and Executive Director (Robert Serrell), The Barrow Group Performing Arts School, located in New York City, offers professional and emerging artists training in acting, directing, playwriting and screenwriting. You can view our upcoming class schedule here.
At the heart of the Barrow Group Approach is the desire to promote clear and concise tools of the trade. These tools are outlined and published in “An Actor’s Companion – 99 Bits of Craft” by Seth Barrish, TBG’s founder and co-Artistic Director.
What makes The Barrow Group School different from many other studios in New York City is that all of our acting teachers have gone through an intensive teacher training program with TBG co-Artistic Directors Seth Barrish and Lee Brock. This faculty training assures that students receive a codified, consistent learning experience from teachers who have been training with The Barrow Group for years.
In a nutshell, these are TBG’s beliefs about acting:
- Acting is easy.
- Acting is most exciting when it is spontaneous and moment-to-moment.
- Unplanned behavior is usually much more interesting than planned behavior.
- Relaxation is the key to many of the things we strive for.
- The best technique is invisible.
- The best technique leaves us free (free to imagine, free to respond, free to feel, free to whatever).
- We don’t think there is one “way” to approach acting. It’s about finding whatever works.
The Barrow Group School offers techniques designed to do the following:
- Encourage spontaneity
- Foster entertaining, human, and compelling behavior
- Help you become more sensitive, imaginative, responsive, and alive onstage
- Relax you
- Change your work effortlessly and invisibly (so the audience won’t detect any effort on your part and therefore will feel like they are watching a real person rather than an actor “working”)
- Bring more freedom to your work
The Barrow Group uses actors who have completed Scene Study 2 and directors who have completed Directing Workshop 2 in our MainStage and Studio readings. Interested in getting involved? Please email email@example.com. MainStage production auditions are held periodically throughout the year – join our Acting School Facebook Group to receive notice.