Led by TBG co-Artistic Directors Seth Barrish and Lee Brock, The Barrow Group School, located in New York City, offers professional and emerging artists training in acting, directing, playwriting and screenwriting. View descriptions of our school’s adult classes here. We also offer kids, tween and teen performing arts camps and classes. Workstudy and apprentice programs are available for students of merit. Check out the upcoming class schedules here.
At the heart of the Barrow Group Approach is the desire to promote clear and concise tools of the trade. These tools are outlined and published in “An Actor’s Companion – 99 Bits of Craft” by Seth Barrish, TBG’s founder and co-artistic director.
The Barrow Group Approach
The Barrow Group School offers techniques designed to do the following:
- Encourage spontaneity.
- Foster entertaining, human, and compelling behavior.
- Help you become more sensitive, imaginative, responsive, and alive onstage
- Relax you.
- Change your work effortlessly and invisibly (so the audience won’t detect any effort on your part and therefore will feel like they are watching a real person rather than an actor “working”).
- Bring more freedom to your work.
In a nutshell, these are TBG’s beliefs about acting:
- Acting is easy.
- Acting is most exciting when it is spontaneous and moment-to-moment.
- Unplanned behavior is usually much more interesting than planned behavior.
- Relaxation is the key to many of the things we strive for.
- The best technique is invisible.
- The best technique leaves us free (free to imagine, free to respond, free to feel, free to whatever).
- We don’t think there is one “way” to approach acting. It’s about finding whatever works.
Adult Acting, Directing and Playwriting Classes
- scene study studio intensives
- monologue workshop
- solo-show performance workshop
- script analysis
- alexander technique for actors
- theatrical clown workshop
- voice for the actor
- shakespeare acting class
- directing classes
- playwriting classes
- film/tv on-camera acting classes
- beginners acting classes
- improv classes
Adult Acting Programs
- teen, tween, kids and youth classes
- brooklyn kids acting classes
- teen filmmaking bootcamp
- teen musical theatre workshop
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.