Teacher Spotlight: Jean Taylor

Doug GoldringCommunity, Training

We’d love to introduce you to one of our incredible TBG teaching artists, Jean Taylor! Read our interview with her below… — What do you enjoy most about teaching? JT: Teaching Theatrical Clown is about accepting your own beautiful ridiculousness, which in turn is a way to be fully present. …

Happy Thanksgiving from TBG!

Doug GoldringCommunity

A heartfelt thanks to all of you, the members of our community, who make TBG such a wonderful place. We are grateful for you! See TBG’s Thanksgiving Email with upcoming classes.

Lee Brock

Lee Brock: What’s New

Doug GoldringCommunity

It’s 5:00 in the morning.  It’s dark, and Trigger, my dog, needs to go out for a walk. Oh, just five more minutes, I think. He licks my face again. I get up and get dressed; put my shoes and coat on; put Trigger’s leash on; get in the elevator …

Zsuzska Beswick: Are You Having Fun?

I remember the first time Lee Brock (TBG co-artistic director and teaching artist) asked me how much fun I was having after my first go of a scene. It was in the master class, which by name alone can carry some pressure. In verbatim, she asked my scene partner and …

Teacher Spotlight: Mike Giese

We’d love to introduce you to one of our incredible TBG teaching artists, Mike Giese! Check out our interview with him below… — What do you enjoy most about teaching? MG:  It’s been said that teaching is the final level of mastery. Now, I’m no master, to be sure, but …

Lee Brock

Lee Brock: Being Better Appreciators

Doug GoldringCommunity

I’m walking down the hall at The Barrow Group on my way to get some water before I start teaching class. I pass two young students talking about a play they had seen. “What do you say to your friend when they suck in the play and the play sucks?” …

Teacher Spotlight: K. Lorrel Manning

We’d love to introduce you to one of our incredible TBG teaching artists, K. Lorrel Manning! Check out our interview with him below… — What do you enjoy most about teaching? KLM:  I love love love watching students, no matter the age or level of skill, push past their insecurities and …

Teacher Spotlight: Samantha Evans

We’d love to introduce you to one of our incredible TBG teaching artists, Samantha Evans! Check out our interview with her below… PS. At time of posting, it’s Samantha’s birthday! Wahoo! — What do you enjoy most about teaching? SE:  I absolutely love meeting new groups of students and helping to foster …

Lee Brock

Lee Brock: The Practice of Gratitude

Doug GoldringCommunity

Oct 5th 2023 – my mother’s birthday. (She would have been eighty-eight.) I am in Studio 2 of The Barrow Group’s arts center, which is filled with Barrow Group teachers. They are talking, eating food, and laughing. We all wander into TBG’s new studio theatre, where just thirty minutes ago, …

Teacher Spotlight: Zsuzska Beswick

We’d love to introduce you to one of our incredible TBG teaching artists, Zsuzska Beswick! Check out our interview with her below… — What do you enjoy most about teaching? ZB:  My favorite thing about teaching is getting to meet so many unique individuals with distinct life experiences. We undoubtedly learn …

John Yearley: Helping Stories Come to Life

“You know”, I said, “there’s nothing inherently entertaining about watching writers work out their stories.” The people I was talking to stared at me blankly. Perhaps it was bad timing – I was in Oslo, and the people I was talking to had flown me thousands of miles to do …

Teacher Spotlight: Laura Cornachio

We’d love to introduce you to one of our incredible TBG teaching artists, Laura Cornachio! Check out our interview with her below… — What do you enjoy most about teaching? LC:  I love when I can see a lightbulb go off with a student. Whether it’s after I’ve thrown them …

Lee Brock

Lee Brock: Creating in Dark Times

Doug GoldringCommunity

Bombs are hitting Israel; the war’s raging in the Ukraine; Afghanistan has one of the deadliest earthquakes in history, killing 2,440 people; Libya has a catastrophic flood, killing 11,000; America has no House Speaker; I am teaching an acting class in New York City. A student asks, “How do we …

Teacher Spotlight: Alyson Schacherer

We’d love to introduce you to one of our incredible TBG teaching artists, Alyson Schacherer! Check out our interview with her below… — What do you enjoy most about teaching? AS:  The students! I meet such rad people. That we get to spend time together each week dedicated to creativity, process, …