Arielle Beth Klein: Discovering Solo Performance

Doug GoldringCommunity

When I was a senior in college as an Early Childhood Education major, I took my first theater class. This was my first attempt to follow my dream of being a professional storyteller. It was a stage movement class that focused on character-building and storytelling with commedia dell’arte masks. My …

Lee Brock: The Art of Slowing Down

Doug GoldringCommunity

I’m on a speed boat speeding across the azure blue waters of the Galapagos Islands on our way to Kicker Rock. A brown-haired gentleman with Rayban sunglasses leans against the cabin wall sporting a yellow T-shirt that reads, “SLOW LIFE.” We arrive at our destination, a huge, jagged piece of …

Tricia Alexandro: New Year, New Habits

Doug GoldringCommunity

New Year’s resolutions have never been my thing. Which may come as a surprise since I’m not only an actor, but a longtime personal trainer and a recently-certified life coach. I’ve spent years helping others clarify their desires, take steps in service of their goals and dreams, and shift limiting …

Happy New Year from TBG!

Doug GoldringCommunity

We are so glad to have enjoyed so many wonderful moments with this community in 2023, and we wish only the best for all of you as we head into 2024! Here’s to many more simple, real, spontaneous moments this time around!

Happy Holidays from TBG!

Doug GoldringCommunity

We at TBG hope you are having a happy, healthy holiday season full of joy, light, and inspiration! Sending the best to you and yours!

Teacher Spotlight: Shannon Patterson

Doug GoldringCommunity, Training

We’d love to introduce you to one of our incredible TBG teaching artists, Shannon Patterson! Read our interview with her below… — What do you enjoy most about teaching? SP: I love the collaborative process of the classes at The Barrow Group. We are all learning from each other and …

Edward Stanley: My Reading List

Doug GoldringCommunity

The holiday season is upon us, and whatever holidays you celebrate, I hope they’re happy. It’s also a gift-giving season for many, so I thought this might be a good time for my list of favorite theatre books. If you’ve taken class with me I’ve likely mentioned these before. As …

Teacher Spotlight: Eddie Robinson

We’d love to introduce you to one of our incredible TBG teaching artists, Eddie Robinson! Read our interview with him below… — What do you enjoy most about teaching? ER: I think the thing I enjoy the most is watching students gain confidence: confidence to fully embrace who they are as a …

Lee Brock

Lee Brock: The Aspen Grove

Doug GoldringCommunity

In 2017, The Barrow Group held our thirty-year anniversary party. As I stood in the lobby, next to a large blue painting that still hangs in our space, a dear friend came up to me, gave me a big huge smile, and said, “Lee Brock, you are an aspen tree.” …

TBG’s 2023 Holiday Party!

Doug GoldringCommunity, TBG Updates

TBG will be holding our annual holiday party on Tuesday, December 19 starting at 5pm at The Barrow Group Arts Center. All are welcome! Meet and mingle with fellow students, teachers, and colleagues. There will be raffles, games, music, and light snacks. Go ahead and RSVP here!  (RSVP encouraged but …

Teacher Spotlight: Jean Taylor

We’d love to introduce you to one of our incredible TBG teaching artists, Jean Taylor! Read our interview with her below… — What do you enjoy most about teaching? JT: Teaching Theatrical Clown is about accepting your own beautiful ridiculousness, which in turn is a way to be fully present. …

Happy Thanksgiving from TBG!

Doug GoldringCommunity

A heartfelt thanks to all of you, the members of our community, who make TBG such a wonderful place. We are grateful for you! See TBG’s Thanksgiving Email with upcoming classes.

Lee Brock

Lee Brock: What’s New

Doug GoldringCommunity

It’s 5:00 in the morning.  It’s dark, and Trigger, my dog, needs to go out for a walk. Oh, just five more minutes, I think. He licks my face again. I get up and get dressed; put my shoes and coat on; put Trigger’s leash on; get in the elevator …

Zsuzska Beswick: Are You Having Fun?

I remember the first time Lee Brock (TBG co-artistic director and teaching artist) asked me how much fun I was having after my first go of a scene. It was in the master class, which by name alone can carry some pressure. In verbatim, she asked my scene partner and …

Teacher Spotlight: Mike Giese

We’d love to introduce you to one of our incredible TBG teaching artists, Mike Giese! Check out our interview with him below… — What do you enjoy most about teaching? MG:  It’s been said that teaching is the final level of mastery. Now, I’m no master, to be sure, but …