“Superb in all departments.” –New York Daily News
Founded in 1986, The Barrow Group Theatre Company originally operated out of a railroad flat on Barrow Street in New York City. Today, The Barrow Group Theatre Company has grown into an award-winning, mid-size theatre organization providing inspiration and resources to the entire arts community of NYC. With the TBG Arts Center and the Barrow Group Acting School, we serve as an artistic home for some of New York’s finest actors, directors, playwrights, filmmakers, designers, and visual artists.
Over its history, The Barrow Group Theatre Company has earned the support of the JKW Foundation, the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, Senator Tom Duane, the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, The Dramatists Guild, the Jewish Communal Fund, the New York State Council on the Arts, the National Endowment of the Arts, and the American Theatre Wing. Our many active supporters have also included Terrence McNally, Lanford Wilson, Craig Lucas and Ann Reinking.
The Barrow Group Theatre Company’s Programming
- Main Stage Productions are fully realized productions of plays and musicals that have risen through the ranks of the Play Development Program.
- Play Development is an important aspect of The Barrow Group’s programming. TBG regularly gives new plays and revivals public readings and workshops in our Studio Theatre. This provides a forum for works-in-progress to be presented to audiences for evaluation before going into production.
TBG’s Commitment to Developing New Plays
- the Off-Broadway production of My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend by Mike Birbiglia, which won the Lucille Lortel Winner for Best Solo Show (2011) was developed at TBG and directed by Seth Barrish.
- A Steady Rain by Keith Huff, received it’s first NYC workshop at TBG in 2007. The play was subsequently produced on Broadway starring Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman.
- the Off-Broadway hit and Drama Desk Award Nominee Sleepwalk With Me, starring Mike Birbiglia was developed at TBG and directed by Seth Barrish
- The Temperamentals by Jon Marans began in our Reading Series receiving a smash run on our Main Stage as a co-production of Man Underdog and Daryl Roth Productions. The play then moved to New World Stages for an extended Off-Broadway run.